Sunday, May 22, 2005

Cynicism is the bane of this generation.

There I was sitting amongst my group of colleagues and his friends. He was having his 22nd birthday at Sante in Crown. I was really minding my own business while being constantly distracted by the amount of food on my plate (thank heavens!) There was an occasional chat with the person on my left and with my colleague on my right. Not a long time after I digged in, a conversation between my colleague and his friends around him at the end of the table caught my attention.

Now, he was debating on something that is very common in this generation and something that the Church considers a disease of this generation. This statement sums up the whole idea of the conversation for the night - 'How is it possible for a guy to stay loyal to his wife for life, surely he will commit some kind of adultery down the road.'

The idea of a man staying loyal, committed and intimate with his wife for the rest of his life doesn't seem to make sense in his mind. He had a puzzled look on his face when another girl on the table mentioned that it is possible. How the society has twisted the whole institution of marriage and the word commitment, it's beyond me. But one thing I know is this; the question that is at hand is not how or why a man (or woman for that matter) can stay faithful to their spouse, rather the question is WHY NOT.

Why not? Can someone point out to me at where have we gone so wrong is the past years or decades, that the society has come down to this low. Where have we gone wrong that the morals of this generation is down the dumps. I know I'm talking about something that has probably existed for the past 20 over years, but since when did we let such cynicism creep into our society and families?

For those who know God, I mean... know God for who He is, for who He truly is, I say with all conviction that there is no reason why a man or woman cannot stay committed and intimate to their spouse for the rest of their life. Marriage is an institution that comes from God and it has always been meant to reflect God's love and His character. For people that has doubts that being Christian is not being romantic and boring, obviously they haven't read Bible. Turn to Song of Songs (man! talk about being graphic! hah)

There is a famine, a disease in our land.. the cure only comes from God through His church. People need God. Everytime without fail, God's simple truth breaks the cynicism of man and their walls of distrust and insecurity. We all need God.

"Not by might nor by power, but My Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galations 2:20

Based on those verses, God is saying He will empower us to do it. It is possible, with Him, all things are!

Cynicism may be the bane, but Christ is the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger