Friday, March 10, 2006

My introduction to the Godfather series could be traced back to while I was a 20 year old college student. My lecturer was an American who is really into politics, culture and arts. Having said that, it's no surprise that he wass also an environmental activist (He used to break into a nuclear power plant with a team to shut it down!). In those years, we were made to watch the Godfather series and had to write an essay on it. It didn't struck me as very arty other than just a movie about a bunch of Italian mafia going on a killing rampage. I wasn't really arty then too, anyway.

Fast forward 2 years, I was working as an intern in a production firm in PJ. In the office of one of the producers, he had a framed up poster of the Godfather movie - just like the one here. I was really intrigued by it. I ventured to find out more about it and decided that it's time to get one, when I find out where to get one!

Fast forward to 2003, the first year RMIT university student, I was happily minding my own business when I saw an amateurish made-up sign that says RMIT is having a poster sale in its cafetaria. I took a stroll into the cafe, much to the delight of my urge to see if I can get a good deal. It wasn't long when I stumbled upon this poster. I quickly pulled it out, made a beeline to the cashier and paid for it. Suddenly, I was a very happy first year uni student!

I figured that I need something on my bland off-white wall in the student residency I was living in. And I've always made sure that if it's something that I wanna put on the wall, I better make sure it's something that's worth putting up, 'cause I'll be staring at it everyday. It took me a year to put it up, kinda figuring that wall at the student residency didn't deserve to be adorned with the Godfather poster. haha :P

I started having it up when I shifted to Bouverie Close and it's been up for 2 years plus now. It's right now on the wall in my room, right behind the door. OK, now let me tell you why I was intrigued by this violence-exalting, trigger-happy mafia movie poster... tsk tsk... very badd isn't it? What am I thinking?! haha. I know what you're thinking right now. For the record, I'm not a big fan of the movie, although it's widely recognised as one of the 'greats' in film history.

To start with, it's a movie poster that is well-photographed and nicely art directed. It has always served as a reminder to me that I am the young man in the poster, bowing down before my Father in heaven. The father and son is looking eye to eye, reminding me that I must always look at Jesus, never ever losing sight of Him. The light that comes from the right side of the poster, shining brightly on the face of the son, tells me that if I were to walk in God's favour, His light which represents His grace and glory will always be upon me. When we look at the position of the father and son, the son is most probably assuming a position of kneeling down. It's a picture of humility and submission to the will of the Father. And with His hands upon your shoulder, it communicates to me that He's saying "You can do all things through Christ that strengthens you" a gesture that saying a million words, like "Son, I trust and believe in you." Now, that's the reason why I have that poster up for such a long time.

We have a greater treasure in Heaven. We have a more loving and gracious Father. We have a Dad in heaven to will never stop believing in us. We have a Father in heaven who only wants the best of the best for His children, us. He will never let go, even if sometimes we drift away from Him. He's the Father of the prodigal son that stands at the courtyard looking out to see if His beloved is coming home. To wait and search in great anticipation of wanting to clothe His children with royal garments and to put the signet ring on their finger, uttering the words of love "Welcome back, my beloved son, welcome back, my beloved daughter."

Our dear Father in heaven,
hallowed be Your Name, forever and ever.

5 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all right, nw u explained it, it all make sense. heh - skye

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger raychuah said...

haha. u used to pick on me for having it up! :) its all goood, love.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boo! hahha => - skye

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger raychuah said...

aww.. don't boo. i'm better articulated when i put my thoughts down in words on why n such :) ur a dear!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ehh - you got internet at home di issit?!!? =P
~von

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger